So you wanna be a Hey Poor Player?
Are you looking to get started at games journalism or are you a wiley veteran looking for somewhere new to call home? Why not apply for a position at HeyPoorPlayer.com?
Here’s some benefits of being part of the HeyPoorPlayer team:
- Review Copies: Want to get the latest games before release, for free, and write about them? We’ve got you covered. We get plenty of review copy, so you’ll definitely get a shot at reviewing if your writing passes muster. We also get plenty of comics, books and movies for review, so you’ll have a shot at reviewing them too if you want.
- Flexible Payment by Post Performance and Contributions: Pay for your work is based on how well your posts perform (at a rate of 1$ per 1000 views for posts made each month) plus other bonuses for making a high number of contributions and to reward you for producing more effort-intensive content the site needs. The payment scheme also allows you to make your own hours, and work when you have time, allowing you to schedule your work with HPP around a day job, college or other commitments. It should be stressed that the compensation on offer is modest and we can’t pay you anything remotely close to a living wage, but it’s a nice little sideline to go along with the other perks!
- Exposure and Experience: We get thousands of visitors a day, so you’ll have a great chance to get your writing seen! You’ll also get the chance to work with a friendly, experienced team who can show you the ropes of games writing. You’ll get press passes to events if you’re willing and able to attend them.
What we expect from you:
- Excellent Writing Skills: You must be a skilled writer with a impeccable grasp of grammar/punctuation. You should be able to construct a concise, interesting article without rambling or waffling. Also, we want to see who you are in your writing! We’re looking for writers with a personality and something to say.
- Dedication and a Good Attitude: We’re not looking for tired, cynical hacks or flakey, fly-by-night contributors. We want people with a real passion for gaming and geek culture. We want people who realize what an opportunity working for HPP is and will grasp it with both hands. You should be able to accept editorial feedback on your work and learn formatting rules quickly. We want to know you have the time and energy to really dedicate yourself to this position.
- Relevant Skills: Can you find the latest, hottest, most interesting news from around the internet and post it up quickly and comprehensively? Can you write reviews that are informative, opinionated and entertaining? Can you write topical opinion pieces on issues of the day that stir up discussion? Can you come up with fun, informative lists? Are you good at sharing your work to get maximum exposure? Can you make slickly edited, entertaining videos? Could you draw a webcomic for us or create some other form other unique content for the site? Your application should show you have at least one of the above skills.
Please include some samples of your writing (and links to videos you’ve made if any) in your application. Tell us a little about yourself and relevant experience you may have.
Please send applications to: JTrussler@heypoorplayer.com or email@example.com