Menu

What's your favourite tabletop system?

Home Forum Gaming Unplugged What's your favourite tabletop system?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by burtacamoose3 burtacamoose3 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone! I was just wondering what everyone’s favourite tabletop systems were? I’m a really big fan of Savage Worlds, myself! It’s easily adaptable to virtually any setting, character creation is quick and easy and it can create some very dramatic situations! It has its weaknesses, such as being perhaps a bit too simplistic, but you can’t fault it for versatility. If you just have a random idea in mind and want to try it out, you and a friend can have a character created and be playing within 10-15 minutes tops.

What about you lot? What’s your favourite system?

David Gunnels
    Participant

As far as ease of use and a “pick up and play” style, I’m a huge fan of Fiasco.

Fiasco: A Game of Powerful Ambition & Poor Impulse Control

I love the relationship system of the game and how it operates like a Coen Brothers movie. It’s pretty versatile with many different settings, and it’s not difficult to make your own play setting. There isn’t much official support for specifically sci-fi or fantasy (remember, Coen Brothers), but the fan community is huge and has plenty of homebrew stuff that transcends different genres. It’s definitely a game you can introduce and play with new players easily in one night. Each session of play consists of one entire story, so it does lack the epic feeling of returning week after week for the same D&D campaign. But with how busy life gets, sometimes it’s a miracle to find even one night for good old-fashioned tabletopping.

An episodic one-and-done type of game would suit me down to the ground. I used to start so many sprawling campaigns back at uni that never finished! A long rambling campaign can be good, but it’s nice to follow a story from start to finish for a change!

David Gunnels
    Participant

Yeah, I’m with you there. Even today, I reminisce about the unfinished games of the past. I ran quite a few of them and had these grand plans that will never be realized.

A lot of my games were in the 4e system for D&D. They system was a bit more streamlined, so it was easier to get new people into it. I wasn’t crazy about how they gave everyone WoW-style powers, though. And combat would drag for hours, even if they were just fending off against some bandits. White Wolf also has a pretty good system that’s pretty heavy on roleplaying. I’ve been in a couple Hunter and Vampire games that had some potential.

As far as another one-and-done, another good one is Dread from The Impossible Dream. It’s a horror tabletop game played with a jenga tower. There are players and a moderator. When a players want to accomplish something, they have to pull blocks from the tower and stack them. That does a wonderful job at simulating tension and panic in the story, because accidentally knocking over the tower kills your character. It’s really great.

burtacamoose3
    burtacamoose3
    Participant

Shadowrun third edition was one of my great loves, though the Storyteller system was the one the most heavily used (Vampire et al).

David Gunnels
    Participant

I always wanted to give Shadowrun a go. Unfortunately, the friends in my tabletop circle weren’t as interested in giving a shot as I was. And unfortunately, you can’t really sit down and experience them on their own.

burtacamoose3
    burtacamoose3
    Participant

Sure can’t. SR had a lot to offer. A lot of friends liked to compare it to Rifts (unfair – Rifts system was terrible) in that it mixed magic and sci-fi on a huge scale. There have been video game titles for it on Genesis and SNES. Just stay away from the XBox 360 one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.