Menu

What Are your 5 favorite consoles of all time?

Home Forum Video Games? What Are your 5 favorite consoles of all time?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Francis DiPersio 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Simple question here, folks: what are your five favorite consoles of all time, and what makes each one so appealing to you?

I’ll start:

5. The Nintendo Entertainment System – The NES was the first system I ever owned, from the moment I hooked up my gloriously awkward R.O.B. the Robot and tossed Gyromite in my control deck I was hooked. From The Legend of Zelda to Super Mario Bros, and the stable of Konami Classics like Castlevania, Rush ‘N Attack and Life Force, the Nintendo blew me away and I never looked back. I still have a ton of love for the system, even if I don’t dust my console off as much as I wish I did.

4. Sega Genesis – I got my Sega Genesis for Christmas in 1990 and remember being blown away by the huge jump in graphical quality over the NES. Altered Beast looked almost arcade-perfect, and the scaling effects in John Madden Football made Tecmo Bowl look like child’s play. I loved my Genesis, and like a sucker I ended up picking up every add-on, spending more time with the Sega CD and 32X than many would care to admit. Hell, I even subscribed to the Sega Channel for the vast majority of the service’s lifespan. Back in the Genesis era, I sincerely felt Sega could do no wrong. They truly did what Ninten-don’t.

3. Sony PlayStation The advent of the 32-bit era was such an exciting time to be a gamer – especially if you were a PlayStation owner. While the beginnings were certainly humble by today’s standards, the boost in visual fidelity and the freedom that 3D worlds offered players really changed the gaming landscape. Be it stalking through the streets of Cyburbia in Twisted Metal or exploring the blood-stained halls of the Spencer Mansion in Resident Evil, the PlayStation was a game changer, and the console left a huge legacy of incredible IP that are still some of the biggest in the industry to this day.

2. NEC PC Engine The PC Engine is one hell of a unique system. Despite being technically 8-bit, the system’s 16-bit GPU rendered some stunningly colorful visuals that brought the console’s staggeringly massive library to life. If you’re a fan of RPGs and shmups, the Super CD system has an insane mountain of incredible games to experience. As a huge fan of both genres, I’m pretty sure my Duo R will be buried right along beside me when I bite the dust so I can keep blasting ships out of the stratosphere in Gate of Thunder in the afterlife.

1. SNK Neo Geo – Anyone who’s been here for awhile knows I’m a huge fan of the arcades – especially when it comes to SNK’s 16-bit powerhouse, the Neo Geo. While I collect mostly for the arcade version of the Neo, the MVS, I have a library of home system games that I just can’t get enough of. While many systems struggled to find parity with the arcades, the Neo Geo AES brought the arcade experience home in pixel-perfect fashion. If fighting games, beat ’em ups and over-the-top sports games are your thing, the Neo is definitely a system to own.

BladeMaverick
    Participant

This list would be more for the games that are most memorable on those systems, than the hardware itself. Sans of course the PSP.

5. The NES – Mario and Zelda series are the most memorable from the NES, along with Dr. Mario, Castlevania series, and a few obscure ones that are sure to leave scars in the back of my brain for the remainder of eternity. *coughBibleAdventures*

4. Sony PlayStation Portable – Was a kickstart to the days of modding for me. Being able to condense my UMDs to a single card because why would I want to carry around 6 or 7 games in my pocket when I want to play another game while I’m away from the house for longer than several hours? Most memorable were Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops (I think this was actually my introduction to the MGS series), Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (90% for Symphony of the Night that could be unlocked and played), Mega Man Maverick Hunter X (A 3D remake of Mega Man X)

3. Sony Playstation – The original. Tomb Raider series (1, 2, 3, Revelations, Chronicles), Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Megaman X4, X5 (The realization that Zero wasn’t a girl), and Legend of Legaia (while I still need to complete it, was a good game at the time). Final Fantasy VII was there, but not as big of an impact, ironically. Metal Gear Solid would have been on that list, but at the time I was a few years too young for the ESRB.

2. Nintendo (New) 3DS – Being able to play original DS game cartridges and (New) 3DS games, I’m lumping them together. I think there’s a trend here on games. Castlevania makes another return with the two DS games (Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin) with amazing soundtracks and gameplay; Nintendogs + Cats, a bit of an odd one, but rather interesting to pick up and play considering my usual gameplay of shooting things in the face and roaming around uncharted planets in search for resources, or taming dinosaurs. Being able to interact with a kitten or puppy, it’s a break from the norm. Mario Golf for the 3DS is a bit of fun on the side with some memorable characters. I wish they brought back the system from Mario Golf for GBA where you could level up your character, instead of relying on your gameplay based on what equipment you bought. The addition of classic games from the eShop is a plus, though taunts me that Metroid Fusion is Wii U only.

1. PC – Is it a console? Eh. Now, I’m not talking of today’s generation of PC gaming with everyone no clipping and flailing their arms obscenely with guns blazing. I’m talking Velocity, One Must Fall 2097, Seek and Destroy from Sierra, Chip’s Challenge, Ski Free, Wolfenstein 3D, The Ultimate Doom, Jazz the Jackrabbit, and Jezzball when I had Windows 3.11 installed on an old generic box machine. Though, PC still hits number one in the current generation (2016) as I can still enjoy playing my childhood favorites, and some new ones. Even games that I haven’t played because what the hell Humblebundle stop inflating my Steam library to 400+ games that I may or may not play in my lifetime.

bipple305
    Participant

5.) Super NES – I could just say Mario Kart and leave it at that but there’s also Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World. Then there are the games that made me both love and hate fighting games at the same time: Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II.

4.) Atari 2600 – I may have only been 3-4 years old when we had one of these in my house but it made an impression on me that is still there today. There are soooo many classics: Pac-Man, Frogger, Missile Command, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Centipede, The Original Donkey Kong. If you have never tried any of these then I recommend that……. you don’t now lol. Games have come too far. But the memories are priceless to me.

3.) PC – Every game ever basically. But I’ll name some of my all time favorites. All Half-Life games including Portal (played Portal 2 on 360), the original DooM, Wolfenstein, and Quake as well as their sequels. And my favorite PC game of all time Battlefield 1942. You can disagree. I’m not claiming it had the best graphics or the least glitches or anything. It just provided me with endless hours of fun. I’d sit down to just play one game and then be confused about when the hell the sun went down.

2.) Sony Playstation 2 – GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas. I think I played more GTA on PS2 than any other console. GTA never seems to get old for me. I can be entertained by just seeing how long I can keep a 5 star wanted level. Devil May Cry 3, God Of War, God of War II, MGS 2 and the list goes on and on and on.

1.) Sony Playstation – The console that I put the most hours into by far. My favorites were Twisted Metal 1,2,3,and of course 4. Then there was FF7 which has been remade and rereleased more times than any other game (I think). It was also the only console I ever modded to play copied games lol. Thank you Blockbuster for expanding the hell out of my gaming library!

5.) Super NES – I could just say Mario Kart and leave it at that but there’s also Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World. Then there are the games that made me both love and hate fighting games at the same time: Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II.

4.) Atari 2600 – I may have only been 3-4 years old when we had one of these in my house but it made an impression on me that is still there today. There are soooo many classics: Pac-Man, Frogger, Missile Command, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Centipede, The Original Donkey Kong. If you have never tried any of these then I recommend that……. you don’t now lol. Games have come too far. But the memories are priceless to me.

3.) PC – Every game ever basically. But I’ll name some of my all time favorites. All Half-Life games including Portal (played Portal 2 on 360), the original DooM, Wolfenstein, and Quake as well as their sequels. And my favorite PC game of all time Battlefield 1942. You can disagree. I’m not claiming it had the best graphics or the least glitches or anything. It just provided me with endless hours of fun. I’d sit down to just play one game and then be confused about when the hell the sun went down.

2.) Sony Playstation 2 – GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas. I think I played more GTA on PS2 than any other console. GTA never seems to get old for me. I can be entertained by just seeing how long I can keep a 5 star wanted level. Devil May Cry 3, God Of War, God of War II, MGS 2 and the list goes on and on and on.

1.) Sony Playstation – The console that I put the most hours into by far. My favorites were Twisted Metal 1,2,3,and of course 4. Then there was FF7 which has been remade and rereleased more times than any other game (I think). It was also the only console I ever modded to play copied games lol. Thank you Blockbuster for expanding the hell out of my gaming library!

Nice list – I can’t agree enough about how many games Blockbuster helped me discover as a kid. As handy as the internet is, I really miss waltzing into Blockbuster and just picking whatever game I wanted to rent based on nothing but the cover art and a few screenshots on the back of the box. Discovered some real gems back then that way.

pedro3845
    Participant

My 5 favorite “platforms” of all time.

1) PC – Hands down the greatest platform ever!
    2) SNES – Super Mario World FTW
    3) Sony Playstation – FFVII <- I spend many childhood hours playing this over & over!
    4) Xbox 360 – I think I played 90% of the games that came out on this console, many of them with my little one GREAT TIMES!
    5) Atari – It was a pain in the butt & hardly ever worked right but it was my first glimpse into gaming – it was amazing!!!

My 5 favorite “platforms” of all time.

1) PC – Hands down the greatest platform ever!
    2) SNES – Super Mario World FTW
    3) Sony Playstation – FFVII <- I spend many childhood hours playing this over & over!
    4) Xbox 360 – I think I played 90% of the games that came out on this console, many of them with my little one GREAT TIMES!
    5) Atari – It was a pain in the butt & hardly ever worked right but it was my first glimpse into gaming – it was amazing!!!

Good picks. I know I spent a few hundred hours playing Final Fantasy VIII back in ’97-98, and I’d gladly do it all over again if I could find the time.

Sadly, I’m pretty sure I’ve spent just as much time playing Streets of Rage 2 lol. My beat ’em up love is a strong one.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.