Menu

What are some of your favorite underappreciated horror games

Home Forum Video Games? What are some of your favorite underappreciated horror games

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  David Gunnels 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

With fall fast approaching and Halloween just around the corner, I was wondering which underappreciated horror games you guys are into. Sure, we all love Resident EVil and Silent Hill, but there’s a big terrifying world of scares outside of Capcom and Konami’s flagship horror franchises that don’t get nearly enough love.

As for me, I’ve always been a big fan of the Fatal Frame series. Koei Tecmo’s unnerving horror franchise that pits players again a legion of spectral terrors with nothing but a camera to defend them has always unsettled me in the most satisfying way, and I’ve always found snapping and cataloging the various malicious spirits you stumble across to be incredibly satisfying.

In addition to the Fatal Frame games, I’ve also always had an appreciation for Human’s Cloctower series. The thought of being chased down by one tireless killer, rather than myriad monsters, makes Clock Tower’s deadly game of cat-and-mouse so much more personal and intense.

So, what are some of your favorite, under-the-radar horror games? Sound off and let me know!

Scratches. It’s set in this secluded old Edwardian house where a writer has gone to find some peace and solitude (standard set-up, eh?). However, every night, he hears these strange scratching sounds and the mystery behind them just continues to build and build.

It’s a game that’s all about letting the anticipation build and build, and giving you little hints to speculate and worry about. It really is a masterclass in horror – the like of which you seldom see. It does help that I used to play it at 2am in my dorm room at uni, with the lights off and headphones on! This was also how I played Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Yep, I know there’s something wrong with me!

Huh, not sure how I missed that one, Jon. Scratches looks fantastic, and the premise, while pretty predictable, is one I’ve enjoyed ever since Alan Wake.

I’m going to have to track this one down and dive in sometime soon.

Huh, not sure how I missed that one, Jon. Scratches looks fantastic, and the premise, while pretty predictable, is one I’ve enjoyed ever since Alan Wake.

I’m going to have to track this one down and dive in sometime soon.

The premise is pretty straightforward, but it’s the atmosphere that counts! Tell me what you think of it when you give it a go!

I almost bought this game so many times, but always wussed out at the last min.

I almost bought this game so many times, but always wussed out at the last min.

I remember having a hell of a time trying to survive five minutes into Siren. I’m no newcomer when it comes to horror games, but that was one grueling experience that I just couldn’t come to grips with.

David Gunnels
    Participant

This topic makes me sad. It reminds me of the one time I was extremely stupid (there was only one time!). My parents were getting things together for a yard sale. I tossed in a couple of video games that I had lost interest in over the years. Ones that go for about a dime at Gamestop, so nothing memorable. All except one that mistakenly got sorted with the “sell for extremely cheap” pile.

Haunting Ground

Haunting Ground was an eerie game that left me feeling tense and uncomfortable every step of the way. And that’s exactly what to look for in a good horror game. I never saw it get much press, unfortunately. And they obviously didn’t make many copies of the game over here, because it’s expensive as hell to buy a copy today. And I mistakenly let it go at a yard sale.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  David Gunnels.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  David Gunnels.

Alex Lupella
    Participant

Did anyone play the Fatal Frame on Wii U? That seems like the perfect implementation of the controller outside of feeling like a big awkward DS.

Frank! We should do a month of horror games thing in October. All videos and feature articles with a horror slant.

David Gunnels
    Participant

Like, a legit horror slant or a satirical one? Are we talking classic Silent Hill stuff, or cotton spider webs and plastic spider rings? Because I can get on board with both.

I say we just go bloody bananas.

On topic – I started playing my Clock Tower SNES repro last night, and it’s probably the most genuinely terrifying 16-bit game I’ve ever played. Scissorman pops up at the most unexpected times. Pretty sure I had to bite my lip on multiple occasions not to scream like a madman, and i loved every second of it.

Here’s some footage (not mine) for anyone who’s curious about how it stacks up.

Absolutely both. I like campy and terrifying in equal measures.

David Gunnels
    Participant

I know the whole game wasn’t a horror title, but the haunted house story in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was impeccable. The atmosphere was creepy as hell, and the ghost action could downright be horrifying. I had to stop occasionally and remind myself that I am a badass vampire who can handle anything. It didn’t help much, to be honest.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.