Menu

PS4 Pro

Home Forum Video Games? PS4 Pro

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by bowbit bowbit 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

derkasan
    Participant

Sony finally announced the Neo…er, PlayStation 4 Pro.

What do you think? Does the added boost in processing power make you want to go out and buy one come November?

I’ve yet to buy one, so I think I just might go with this version of the system. At $399, it’s a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to be.

I have to say, while I’m not floored with the hardware by any stretch, it would be nice to have some gaming hardware that’s able to make good use of my 4K set. That combined with some added horsepower to push along the VR experience has me thinking I’ll pink one up eventually, but probably not until sometime next year.

Truth be told, these stop gap systems (Pro and Scorpio) seem like the start of a slippery trend that I’m not too crazy about. Half measures like this almost seem to punish early adopters, and divide developers by making them focus their efforts on making the most of hardware that many don’t own. We saw this happen with the Kinect, and it was a garbage practice. I’m expecting much of the same this go round with this batch of revised systems.

derkasan
    Participant

While it’s true that this punishes early adopters, I like the fact that they’re supporting both consoles. If it was like the New 3DS and its exclusive games, that wouldn’t be right. However, offering an enhanced experience is fine with me.

I just don’t know why they’re releasing the Slim just two months before. Guess it’s for those that don’t want to wait…

Yeah, I can’t argue with that. I guess my biggest concern is more that developers will fail to utilize the hardware given how many units are already sitting in everyone’s living rooms. I’d be amazed if the number of Pros floating around will end up being anywhere close to the current model of PS4s before this console cycle is over. However, if the hardware is put to good use then I certainly wouldn’t mind snatching one up for myself. It just seems that upgrades like this haven’t had the best track record in the past, and unless developers really flex that added muscle then it’ll be hard to find the value in upgrading.

As for the timing, it is really bizarre to say the least – and the people adopting the cheaper Slim model will only serve to further dilute the market, making it harder for the Pro to gain traction.

bipple305
    Participant

I’m pretty upset about the PS4 Pro and the slim console as well. Basically what Sony (and Microsoft) are telling me is to not buy their consoles when they first come out. They aren’t the best that they can be and on top of that their price is based mainly on hype and demand. If either manufacturer does come out with anymore consoles I will not bite until they either drop drastically in price or come out with the ‘slim’ or ‘pro’ versions. If you punish your loyal fans who pre-order or buy on release day by giving them a sub-par console we will learn from our mistakes.

BladeMaverick
    Participant

Doesn’t help that 4K Blu-Ray won’t be available for the PS4 Pro. With that said, there was rumor that there would be a “patch” to fix this in the future on various news sites. To run 4K Blu-Ray, you’d need an optical drive that can run it. A normal Blu-ray drive won’t cut it. Though with video streaming becoming more and more the norm with Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, not as many users will be going for physical media. While there will still be a demand for it, it won’t be as common place as seeing someone on their phone streaming the latest movie.

“But what about 4K gaming?” All in the GPU. Just like a PC.
    “But then that means you can watch 4K blu-ray” Yeeeeeeees, but you still need an optical drive that can support it. Just like you can’t run a DVD in a classic 90’s CD drive. Yes they’re the same form factor, but internally they’re different. MUCH different.

The only way this will change is if last minute Sony decides to install their UHD/4K blu-ray drives into the PS4 Pro (Which at the moment, the UHD player they have is slotted for release sometime in spring of 2017. Don’t be surprised if there’ll be a PS4 Pro Slim w/ UHD Blu-Ray in a few months, or even the announcement of the PS5.

On the gaming side, I’m sure that things will proceed as normal for the PS4, while VR being more emphasized for the PS4 Pro due to its improved GPU. I’m still rather confused if VR will be available for the PS4/Slim since the hardware is a tad subpar. Otherwise in normal games, I’m assuming they’ll allow games to be cross-platform between the PS4/Slim and Pro, with a toggle internally that detects what system the game is in to switch between 1080p and 4K. Either that, or a UHD download of textures, like how Battlefield did on the Xbox 360 – by way of saving money on needing two DVDs. (I don’t know if that existed on the PS3. Only had a 360.) This is speculation, however.

*Source for no 4K blu-ray

hestar69
    Participant

I’m pretty upset about the PS4 Pro and the slim console as well. Basically what Sony (and Microsoft) are telling me is to not buy their consoles when they first come out. They aren’t the best that they can be and on top of that their price is based mainly on hype and demand. If either manufacturer does come out with anymore consoles I will not bite until they either drop drastically in price or come out with the ‘slim’ or ‘pro’ versions. If you punish your loyal fans who pre-order or buy on release day by giving them a sub-par console we will learn from our mistakes.

They’ve been doing this since the PS1 days with revisions to their consoles. they came out with I think 2 grey ps1 revisions and then the white mini ps1.Then they did stuff with the ps2 and 3 n whatnot..My ps4 works fine with no problems (knock on wood) and that’s all I care about.IF there’s games at launch I really want I’m probably gonna get their console at launch again for the ps4 or xbox 720,2 or what ever they call it,ll

Doesn’t help that 4K Blu-Ray won’t be available for the PS4 Pro. With that said, there was rumor that there would be a “patch” to fix this in the future on various news sites. To run 4K Blu-Ray, you’d need an optical drive that can run it. A normal Blu-ray drive won’t cut it. Though with video streaming becoming more and more the norm with Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, not as many users will be going for physical media. While there will still be a demand for it, it won’t be as common place as seeing someone on their phone streaming the latest movie.

^^^ The lack of 4K Blu-Ray is definitely one of the things that’s turning me off the most. How the hell can you make a console focused around 4K output and not even champion your own HD format? The PS4 is supposed to be the new flagship console, and Sony dropping the ball with 4K BD support is a huge misstep for them.

BladeMaverick
    Participant

^^^ The lack of 4K Blu-Ray is definitely one of the things that’s turning me off the most. How the hell can you make a console focused around 4K output and not even champion your own HD format? The PS4 is supposed to be the new flagship console, and Sony dropping the ball with 4K BD support is a huge misstep for them.

I think the main problem is that users will buy just a PS4 Pro and not buy a UHD Blu-ray player when its released in spring. If I recall, that happened with the PS3 and Blu-ray when it came out. Their players weren’t selling as well as they thought because everyone was buying a PS3 for about the same price that could play games and play blu-ray.

I think the main problem is that users will buy just a PS4 Pro and not buy a UHD Blu-ray player when its released in spring. If I recall, that happened with the PS3 and Blu-ray when it came out. Their players weren’t selling as well as they thought because everyone was buying a PS3 for about the same price that could play games and play blu-ray.

Yeah, I have no doubt that’s the reason. However, with Sony being at the forefront of the medium, you think they’d understand the current trend of people wanting all-in-one devices underneath their entertainment centers. In any case, not looking forward to needing to cram another box in my living room anytime soon. :/

pedro3845
    Participant

The added boost to the power in the Playstation Pro is probably just enough to accommodate the HDR & up-scaling labor that goes along with rendering non-native 4k resolution in 99% cases. I already have a A/V receiver that up-scales to 4k and the HDR capability was already added to every other PS4 console in a recent update. I think it’s almost comical when the game devs state that their games support the new PS Pro. Like what does that even mean unless their games already play in native 4k? I really dislike when the giants like Sony & MS take advantage of a new technology & skew it into something that it’s not. I believe this new almost-4k generation of consoles is merely marketing unfortunately. When 4k is actually here then I’m totally on board!

OH, and BTW Sony, where the heck is the UHD Bluray player in the NEO!?!?!?!?!?

EDIT: I think one of the biggest things the end user will realize from the PS4 Pro, is that their games might actually hold a decent frame rate unlike the normal PS4s in most games.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  pedro3845.
    bowbit
    bowbit
    Participant

The Pro is a great reason to jump on the playstation band wagon, if you’ve been waiting for the right time. It doesn’t give the majority of current PS4 owners enough to justify the upgrade. For the hardcore, it’s the new hotness, and will compliment PSVR really well.

For me, I was either going to upgrade my PS4 to ‘Neo’ or finally upgrade my 360 and get an XBone. I was really hoping the Pro was going to be a huge leap forward in power, but was disappointed when it was revealed to be just a slight boost in performance.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.