Menu

PlayStation VR – Buy or Bust?

Home Forum Video Games? PlayStation VR – Buy or Bust?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by bowbit bowbit 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Well, we’re just over a month from the release of Sony’s VR headset and I was wondering what everybody’s take on the device is? Personally, having tried the device out a few weeks ago, I have to say I’m impressed with the tech. The level of immersion was really impressive from my brief hands-on time with EVE: Valkyrie. The head tracking was essentially 1;1, and the visual fidelity was really solid despite the slight screen door effect.

Additionally my wife sunk some time into the undersea demo that puts players in a diving cage as various sea life – including a menacing shark – antagonize the player. In the end, we were both very happy with our brief time with the headset, which was surprisingly lightweight and comfortable given its size.

While the hardware itself seems very solid, I have to admit I’m pretty concerned that so few full retail experiences have been announced for the hardware’s launch, with many of the 50+ games slated for the launch window apparently glorified tech demos. Here’s hoping we see some surprises, because as it stands RE7 might be the first real killer app for the device when it rolls out early next year.

So, what are your thoughts on PlayStation VR? Do you think the software selection will justify the hardware’s steep pricetag?

BladeMaverick
    Participant

If what the HTC Vive is to say to what happened to VR on the PC side of virtual reality, it dropped. Unless brick and mortar stores offer demos using the headsets to offer an experience to a user than some other person’s feedback. Each person has a different feeling, and it’s something that can’t be put to words that another person can understand, generally. It doesn’t help that VR “solutions” like the Samsung Gear VR is generally a majority of what consumers would experience for a “cheap thrill” – since they’re being given away for free with purchase of a Samsung device of whatever flavor at the time, I think the S7/Note 7 at the moment – and will then use that as a reference point for VR. With that, consumers will think since one VR is what all VR will be.

Their timing is on par with the holiday season coming up, so it’ll definitely be a hit for Christmas and a little afterwards, but for the best experience the PS4 Pro would be needed. Another $400 price tag on top of the $400 (according to Google’s first hit for “PS4 VR price” from CNET) for the headset.

It’s hype. Everyone will be into it for a few months, then it’ll drop. Unless a developer can produce something that blows the pants off gaming using VR that isn’t another copy of Minecraft VR that was for the Gear or Rift, then I don’t know. I know that I personally won’t get one as the majority of games that I own and play are on PC, and I can’t find it in my budget to buy a console that I can’t carry with me when I want to play Metal Gear Solid V or Starbound in the lobby of my dentist as I wait for my appointment. Just my two cents.

If what the HTC Vive is to say to what happened to VR on the PC side of virtual reality, it dropped. Unless brick and mortar stores offer demos using the headsets to offer an experience to a user than some other person’s feedback. Each person has a different feeling, and it’s something that can’t be put to words that another person can understand, generally. It doesn’t help that VR “solutions” like the Samsung Gear VR is generally a majority of what consumers would experience for a “cheap thrill” – since they’re being given away for free with purchase of a Samsung device of whatever flavor at the time, I think the S7/Note 7 at the moment – and will then use that as a reference point for VR. With that, consumers will think since one VR is what all VR will be.

Their timing is on par with the holiday season coming up, so it’ll definitely be a hit for Christmas and a little afterwards, but for the best experience the PS4 Pro would be needed. Another $400 price tag on top of the $400 (according to Google’s first hit for “PS4 VR price” from CNET) for the headset.

It’s hype. Everyone will be into it for a few months, then it’ll drop. Unless a developer can produce something that blows the pants off gaming using VR that isn’t another copy of Minecraft VR that was for the Gear or Rift, then I don’t know. I know that I personally won’t get one as the majority of games that I own and play are on PC, and I can’t find it in my budget to buy a console that I can’t carry with me when I want to play Metal Gear Solid V or Starbound in the lobby of my dentist as I wait for my appointment. Just my two cents.

I think your observation that many folks won’t be able to try one of these devices at retail locations is definitely on the money. And yeah, the fact that Samsung and Google have been pumping out cheap VR solutions like Cardboard and Gear that don’t do much to sell the benefits of higher-end VR hardware is certainly going to muddy the waters for those of us who aren’t up to speed on the bells and whistles of a high-grade HMD.

I think the decision to pack 18 demos on the pack-in disc compared to the 8 previously-announced titles is a smart move on Sony’s part, and for what it’s worth I really want the platform to succeed. I just have a feeling we’ll be waiting until next holiday season to see any software that actually does the platform justice, and that sucks.

Kenny McKee
    Participant

VR’s always been pretty hit-and-miss with me. While a lot of things in the media make VR seem like a really neat idea (and I honestly think that it is), I’m still not completely sold on it. With that being said, I’m not sure what exactly would sell me on a VR peripheral or system… I’m sure that there’s something, though. I like PlayStation a lot, but I think that I’ll pass on PSVR unless it becomes obscenely inexpensive sometime in the distant future.

BladeMaverick
    Participant

VR’s always been pretty hit-and-miss with me. While a lot of things in the media make VR seem like a really neat idea (and I honestly think that it is), I’m still not completely sold on it. With that being said, I’m not sure what exactly would sell me on a VR peripheral or system… I’m sure that there’s something, though. I like PlayStation a lot, but I think that I’ll pass on PSVR unless it becomes obscenely inexpensive sometime in the distant future.

That’s the problem. It’s not the hardware that would sell, it’s the experience. You need to experience it first hand to get a taste of it before you could think of setting down the money to buy it. If Sony or HTC/Valve were to set up demo stations at brick and mortar stores, I’m sure they’d be picking up a lot of revenue, even if it’s only for a few months.

bipple305
    Participant

I don’t think I’ll bite. I get vertigo so it really isn’t an option for me as much as I would like to have a PSVR in my life. I would still wait for it to drop in price if I could get it but it’s never going to be an option for me :C But paying around $1K (if you don’t own a PS4 already) to play games on a console seems insane to me.

hestar69
    Participant

I personally won’t be buying..I’m just not sold on playing games with a headset up on and whaling my arms around..I think it’s cool,and maybe if a few games come out that are must owns,I’d get it.It’s one of the reasons I didn’t use my wii much (ha insert joke here),After a long day of work,I just wanted to sit down and play a game,not sit or stand up and wail my arms around.

pedro3845
    Participant

Man I’m trying sooooooooo hard to get into this, but every time I reference the games associated with it all I see is graphics from two generations ago with really cheesy content. The visuals may be slightly improved in the sense that it may make the game seem more believable, but it’s a little hard to forget you’re wearing a massive headset & not trying to bang into stuff or trip over cords. I mean I’ve played all of the movement based games already as I’m sure most people in here have using wireless controllers with the wii etc. Shooting a bow, bowling, shooting a gun, walking through rooms, hitting a ball or puck back & forth… it’s all good don’t get me wrong. The only difference I see is an added hindrance interacting with the game itself through the VR. I’m not just talking about a learning curve like the type you’d experience trying any new controller device. I’m talking about major limitations & bugs. Getting the camera angles right and/or when the game takes the control away from you altogether. It is more of an obstacle than a new experience to me, but I’m sure others have their opinions as well. Why aren’t any of the AAA games buying into it yet? I mean some are to a very limited extent like FFV, but far from any real full fledged integration. I think I’ll stick to my standard controller and rely on my own imagination like I have for the last almost 40 years! …and yes, unfortunately, I would have to say that unless it really appeals to the younger generation, then it will be a total bust. Just give it enough time for people to forget again and the hype will build back up.

bowbit
    bowbit
    Participant

Bust. PSVR is cool and all, but the game experiences aren’t enough for the average gamer. It’s really neat to play something like that at Dave and Busters over the weekend, but much like 3D, I just can’t spend the money to have this at home.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.