Enjoy Classic SRPG Action in 2022
Strategy RPGs are wonderful things. They’re full of complex stories, intricate mechanics and lovable characters. And because it feels like they’re less in vogue than in past years, it’s exciting to hear about a new upcoming SRPG. Especially when it’s been developed by the founder of Fire Emblem, Shouzou Kaga! That game is none other than Vestaria Saga Gaiden: Sword of the Silvanister, follow up to 2019’s Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions.
Now I don’t know about you, but I grew up learning about the SRPG genre thanks to Fire Emblem. So getting a game inspired by those traditional entries is pretty exciting. Vestaria Saga Gaiden is slated to come to Steam in 2022. For those that played the first game, here’s some key details about the upcoming entry:
Vestaria Saga Gaiden: The Sacred Sword of Silvanister follows the further adventures of Zade, the hero from VS1, bringing the tales of him and his companions to a thrilling, satisfying end. Across his epic quest, Zade will encounter allies both new and old while also uncovering more of the mysteries behind the vile Margulites and their plan to plunge Vestaria into a new age of darkness.
Want to know more? Here’s a full list of features in the game:
- New classes, gear, and skills to utilize across a wider variety of maps compared to its predecessor
- Ally conversations now confer stat boosts and other advantages
- A slew of other quality of life improvements have been made to the classic VS system
- An enthralling campaign of espionage, international intrigue, and war written by veterans of the genre
- Varying story paths and endings based on choices and who survives to the end
- Over 30 unique characters to recruit with a wide variety of classes, weapons, and skills
- Intricate maps filled with a variety of enemies and strategic puzzles to overcome
- Two finely tuned difficulty modes to accommodate both strategy veterans and newcomers
- The ability to save every 5 turns so that players can quickly undo any mistakes they’ve made during a battle
- A full English script translated from the original Japanese by a veteran translator
- Another chapter in a strategy RPG series that builds upon Japanese SRPG traditions
While I always prefer gaming on Switch, Vestaria Saga Gaiden looks quite compelling. It reminds me of the likes of recently released Dark Deity, not to mention classic Fire Emblem games. You can see what’s in store by watching the trailer below. And stay tuned to HPP for more news about promising SRPGs from DANGEN Entertainment.