Get ready to eat lead!
Generally speaking, when I talk about my newfound love of rogue games, I credit that to the tremendous Binding of Isaac series. But recently another upstart has claimed that crown, or is at least sharing it. That series is none other than the Gungeon games. I started with Enter the Gungeon (super late, I might add) and completely adored it. But there was something equally awesome about the sequel, Exit the Gungeon. It managed to streamline all the elements from the first game into one shiny, brutally hard yet addictive package.
Well, the good news today is that Exit the Gungeon just got better! Not only have Singlecore and Devolver Digital brought the gun toting madness to PS4 and Xbox One, but it’s coming with a brand spanking new DLC for all systems. That update is winkingly called the Hello To Arms DLC, and it brings with it a host of small improvements as well as new content. That’s all summarized below:
- Arsenal Mode: A new toggleable game mode in which weapons will be available as loot as well as for purchase in shops. Any number of these weapons can be held in addition to the Blessed gun, and can be used at any time. These additional carried guns have limited ammunition, which can be replenished by finding ammo pickups (exclusively in Arsenal Mode). This mode was designed to be more reminiscent of Enter the Gungeon’s gun management.
- Shop Hubs: Bello’s shop has been expanded and now can be accessed twice per floor, allowing players more choice over when and how to spend their currency. This shop replaces the normal mid-floor room, in addition to its normal appearance after the boss. The shop has several doors to optional combat and NPC rooms that can be explored for loot or skipped. This should result in an overall increase in itemization for players who explore all rooms, as well as providing a source for weapon drops when playing in Arsenal Mode.
Other New Features
- A new optional boss, the Glocktopus
- A new NPC, the Ledge Goblin, and her minigame
- As is tradition, several new guns and items
- You can now pet the dog
It might not sound like a ton of new content, but since all the Gungeon games are jam packed with goodies, trust me when I say there’s plenty to enjoy. If you’re a fan of Exit the Gungeon or are just trying it out for the first time, today’s a great day. And be sure to check out the sweet new Hello To Arms trailer below!