Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 heads to consoles starting this December, PC release to follow in 2021.
Sega today announced that Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, the sequel to Sonic Team’s hit 2014 puzzle mash-up Puyo Puyo Tetris (read our review here), will be making its way to the Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PS4 on December 8, 2020. A PS5 version of the game will release at an as of yet undetermined date this holiday season.
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 once again combines the slime-stacking and block-dropping gameplay of its eponymous franchises. The game features various modes to enjoy. These include the new Skill Battle Mode. This mode allows you to utilize character-specific skills and equippable item cards to get the upper hand on your opponents. The game also includes an all-new Adventure Mode featuring a colorful cast of new and returning characters.
To celebrate today’s announcement, Sega has released a trailer for the game. Titled “Ultimate Puzzle Match,” the trailer showcases Puyo Puyo Tetris 2‘s various game modes and playable characters.
Check out the Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 announcement trailer below:
If you’re a PC gamer, don’t fret. Sega also confirmed that a Steam version of the game will be available in 2021.
Below you can find a full list of features courtesy of Sega:
- Turn the Tide of Battle in an Instant: Brand-new Skill Battle mode introduces dynamic character-based skills and equippable Item Cards to fit your playstyle, power up your team, and quickly turn the tables in a match!
- Save a World or Two in a Wild New Adventure: Travel through dimensions with the lovable and quirky cast of both returning and new characters in an all-new story adventure across the worlds of Puyo Puyo and Tetris!
- Online and Better Than Ever: Improved Online modes offer competition in game-specific leagues and Free Play for up to four players, online rankings, and more to be announced!
- Many Ways to Play: Tons of modes provide plenty of variety for up to four players including Versus, Fusion, Swap, Party, Big Bang. For competitors and newcomers, get ready for Tournament and Lessons! Details about these exciting modes will be revealed in future announcements, so prepare yourself!
- And More to Come: DLC will be announced at a later date, but get ready for plenty of content beyond launch!
Are you looking forward to diving into this stack-happy mashup when it lands on consoles and PC? If so, which platform do you plan on playing it on? Sound off in the comments below and let us know.