New Etrian Odyssey, Radiant Historia, and Shin Megami Tensei titles are on their way
ATLUS has confirmed today that they will be bringing a trio of 3DS JRPGs Westward. These games include a brand-new Etrian Odyssey adventure, and remastered versions of Radiant Historia and Shin Megami Tensei games.
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
The first in ATLUS’s JRPG trio is Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth. The newest addition in the Etrian Odyssey series, EOV will have players forming parties, fighting foes, and mapping their progress out like never before as they attempt to reach the top of the gargantuan Yggdrasil Tree.
Key features of Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth include:
- A Choose-your-own-odyssey Feel – Starting with the creation of your party to exploring the uncharted labyrinth of the Yggdrasil Tree, Beyond the Myth is all about choosing how your own adventure unfolds. Test your survival skills by wisely navigating the winding floors of Yggdrasil, using shrewd tactics when battling gruesome beasts, making the right decisions during various “scenarios,” and more. To meet these challenges, the home base city of Iorys is ready for all your buying/selling, recruiting, and information-gathering needs!
- Gameplay Fit for a True Pathfinder – It wouldn’t be an Etrian Odyssey game without the life-or-death need to map your progress. For those new to the series, the bottom screen of the 3DS displays a top-down, tile-based map that must be filled out while dungeon crawling. Players can use the map to mark the locations of treasures, doors, enemies, environmental obstructions, and more. Expect the unexpected at every turn–and then make a note on the map so it’s not so unexpected next time!
- Epic Turn-based Battles – There’s a reason why no one has ever reached the top of Yggdrasil. Dangerous creatures and utterly terrifying FOEs–high-level mini-bosses, for you newcomers–roam the labyrinth on every floor, so prepare to test your mettle with challenging turn-based battles. Proper planning is a must and balancing strong party composition is absolutely crucial for success. You’ll need the right team to unleash Union Attacks and level the playing field!
- Expanded Character Creation and Customization – With four unique races, 10 distinct classes, more customization options than any previous game in the franchise, and a streamlined skill tree/class advancement, you can shape a party to whatever your heart desires.
- A Magical Art Style and Score – Longtime series illustrator Yuji Himukai and renowned composer Yuzo Koshiro return to add their signature magic to the art and music in the game.
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth is slated for release in Fall 2017.
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
An updated version of the 2011 title Radiant Historia, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology will have players traveling to Vainqueur and unlocking the White Chronicle’s time traveling abilities once more. This new port will contain all of the original Radiant Historia content, plus new gameplay and story content, updated art, and more.
Key features of Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology include:
- An Enhanced Retelling of the Original – You’ll once again take the reins of Alistel operative Stocke as he unlocks the power of the White Chronicle relic and gains the ability to travel between two alternate timelines. With his new-found powers, Stocke will need to right the wrongs of the past in order to prevent the total annihilation of the world. This time though, things are a bit different. Redesigned character art, new character voice-overs, a brand-new opening animation by A-1 Pictures, new theme song, event illustrations, five new tracks from original composer Yoko Shimomura, and additional difficulty settings will enhance the experience in this fresh take of a beloved story.
- Exhilarating New Story Content– Stocke will now encounter a mysterious new character named Nemesia who will teach him more about his world’s history and unlock a third timeline to explore the ripple effect of some of his actions with episodic “what-if” scenarios. If you’re a Radiant Historia purist who simply wants to play through the original game’s story, we have you covered! Perfect Chronology offers two different modes: Append and Perfect. Append mode allows you to beat the original game before having the option to start a NewGame+ with the added content, while Perfect mode lets you play through the game with the inclusion of the third timeline from the beginning.
- A Classic That Can’t Be Missed – Even though there’s an abundance of expanded content to delve into, the heart and soul of Radiant Historia remains the same. If you missed out on the original game in 2011, the upcoming port is the perfect chance to play a modern classic. With an exciting positioning-based battle system, memorable characters, and thrilling time-travel mechanics, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology is an essential for JRPG fans.
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology is slated to release sometime in early 2018.
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
The final game in ATLUS’s upcoming trio of RPGs is the remake of 2010 DS game Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux. In Redux, players will once again take control of a United Nations specialist as they delve into the spacial distortion known as the Schwarzwelt in hopes of saving the world. Things will be different this time around however, thanks to the debut of a mysterious girl named Alex who has her sights set on you.
Key features of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux include:
- A Stranger Journey Back – In Strange Journey Redux, you play as a brave United Nations soldier investigating a spatial anomaly called the Schwarzwelt–a dome of dark energy that threatens to consume the world. Inside, you’ll find it home to a nightmare mirror of our own Earth, populated with demons dying to meet you. The game touts brand-new illustrations by Masayuki Doi, updated visuals, UI tweaks, and more to make this journey back into the Schwarzwelt… even stranger.
- Additional Story Content and a Brand-new Character – You won’t be retreading the same nightmarish path as before because a brand-new character named Alex will play a major role in how the story unfolds. Much about her is a mystery, but there is one thing you know for sure: she’s got a bone to pick with you. Joining her are new demons you might recognize from other SMT entries, new endings, and a new dungeon to die in–I mean, discover.
- A True Shin Megami Tensei Adventure – With its twisted demonic sci-fi story, addictive demon-collecting fun, and multiple narrative paths to explore, Strange Journey Redux is an essential ATLUS JRPG adventure that can’t be missed!
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux is slated to release sometime in early 2018.
It seems as though JRPGs are alive and well on the 3DS, if ATLUS has anything to say about it. Are you looking forward to these upcoming titles? Which ones will you be picking up? Let us know in the comments below!