After being teased by writers from various game media websites on Twitter, Yacht Club Games yesterday unveiled an official Shovel Knight Amiibo. The new collectible has apparently been developed by Yacht Club on their own, with approval and support from Nintendo. Whether this will lead to a trend of third parties crafting their own officially-licensed figures remains to be seen.
The figure was officially announced with some help from the folks over at popular gaming Youtube channel Game Grumps, in a special video:
The Shovel Knight Amiibo is more than just a pretty statue, of course; it also has various effects in the game from which its iconic gardening tool-wielding hero comes. In the Wii U version of Shovel Knight, the Amiibo unlocks a full 2-player co-op mode to the game. While the 3DS doesn’t get this, it and the Wii U version also get new challenges and customization options. Here’s the full breakdown from Yacht Club’s website:
Cooperative Multiplayer (exclusive to Wii U)!
- Join a friend’s Shovel Knight campaign and shovel together!
- Use new cooperative moves to help each other out along the way!
- Level up by defeating enemies and finding treasure!
- Earn all-new relics, abilities, and powers you never thought possible!
- Customize the look of your Shovel Knight with cool and crazy cosmetic options!
- Use your custom amiibo seamlessly between 3DS and Wii U!
Exclusive Challenge Stages!
- Battle your way through amiibo exclusive challenge stages that take advantage of the new amiibo relics and abilities!
One amiibo, multiple games
- We plan to continue support of the Shovel Knight amiibo in future Yacht Club Games and Nintendo products! Stay tuned to amiibo.com for compatibility details in new games.
Stay tuned for more news on release and availability for the Shovel Knight Amiibo, and any whisperings on more new figures to come along in the future.